Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Road to Carlsbad…

June 30 – Monday (Partly Cloudy, Mild, Breezy, 80;s)

By now the Bailey’s have a routine for the morning. Breakfast, devotion, disconnect the sewer line, disconnect the hose, put in the awning, fold up the mat, repack the plastic bins, find room for everything in back, retract the slide-out, unplug the electric, pick up the orange lego blocks under the wheels. Meanwhile my wife is securing the food file, getting all loose things secured, securing pots and pans drawer, cleaning up all electric items, placing big loose things on the bed, getting the front bunk ready and finally take off!
As we left the RV Park, we saw watched the lake as we traveled around it.


We then encountered something unexpected, a border patrol. I am guessing since Amistad is a joint venture with Mexico and have the lake is in the US and half in Mexico that there are probably many drugs and illegal things acquired and brought back to the US. The man was very nice, asked us our ages and where we were from. As this occurred, a very large german Shepard was “nosing” around the motorhome. You can guess what he was looking for.




After leaving the border patrol, we proceeded down route 285. This is one of the most scenic roads we have been on. The terrain around us is desert. It’s the first time I had ever driven through the desert so everything was catching my eye. Here is some rock strata that we found all along the road. We also saw many channels that had beautiful cliffs.
After about 60 miles of nothing but desert, we finally entered a small town called Pecos. We had to stop and get milk and bread. Gas was $4.12 a gallon and if you needed it. You had to fill at this station since it is the only one for miles. Fortunately we did not have to fill. We ate lunch there then continued on. Since Ethan wanted some insects for his collection from the desert, we stopped at a rest stop (called picnic areas out here) and let the kids (all 3 of them) loose to catch some bugs.
After leaving Pecos, Texas we continued to Carlsbad. My wife is driving and I am doing some work. All of a sudden she says to me “Is that a spider on the road?” I never looked up and said “No way”. We continued. She then said again “I think I see a trantula crossing the road”. This time I looked up and said if it happens again I want to see this. Sure enough minutes later I saw a trantula crossing the road.

At the next sighting we stopped and Isaiah and I ran back and captured it and put it into one of the killing jars. A treat for Bro. Richards. I said to my wife that the need trantula crossing signs like we have deer crossing signs. (Ha Ha)

Well We continued to Carlsbad where we checked in at the Carlsbad Caverns RV park. As I was checking in I heard the receptionist talk about Passport America and the price being $17.50 per night. We had been paying about $32-$40 per night at KOA’s. The passport cost $44 and in just 3 nights paid for itself so we signed up. It has been a blessing ever since. This RV Park was great. It had games for the kids, an indoor heated pool and great accomodations. We settled in ate dinner and retired.






No comments: