Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Big One...

My wife likes to fish, as you can gather, and uses a 6” bumblebee soft plastic worm when she is in doubt as to what the fish are biting on. Me, I chuckle inside and reach for the pro stuff. Tubes, rattletraps, swimbaits, etc. After all, that’s what the pro’s use to catch the big one; so I have read. It was about 10pm and all we could show for 2 hours of fishing was a 8 inch bass that my wife caught of course. Then it happened. My wife stood up and said she had a fish. I half-heartedly looked around to find her pole almost bent in half. Of course, I then stood up and yelled “you have a big fish on the line”. Well the excitement on her face told me she already knew. She gripped the pole tightly and began to wind in. The bass showed its full length then, as they always do, darted under the boat. I said, “the net , the net get the net”. She looked me as though I should be getting the net since she was a little busy. So I grabbed the net. At the next opportunity, I scooped into the water and brought in her catch. It laid in our net tail at one end, mouth at the other. Truly this is the biggest bass I have ever seen in real life. By now we all made enough noise to bring over the other boats. Natives to this area, they surmised the bass to be about 3 pounds and medium size in length. Once they arrived at our boat my wife was proudly holding her bass by the mouth. Needless to say their jaws dropped and then we measured. 22.5” and over 6 pounds. The scale was not as accurate as we’d like but close enough. You can see for yourself.

Well, this became the talk of the night and reminded my friend Jeff of our little discussion before going fishing, you know, about the not wanting to fish with my wife because she always beats me. After things subsided I talked with Danny and Steve for a bit then we all retired.