Sunday, June 15, 2008

Lake Martin...

June 12; Sunny and 3H’s (Hazy, Hot, Humid - 87°F)

Today I went to work at the land the church had purchased for the school that I spoke of earlier. The Fountain Inn Christian School’s webpage is:

http://www.ficsfalcons.org/

and they have been in existence 3 years.

One of the outreach’s our family wanted to participate in was to help the church paint the modular classrooms that will be used for the 2008-2009 school year. Jeff and I left early to meet the drainage engineer. The land the church bought is barren but they have a vision. I saw the site plan and it reminded me of our vision when we started the family center. There were several classroom buildings on the site when we arrived. (see pictures)

The buildings are in rough shape and will need siding, windows, roofing and painting. There will be 17 of them and they are bought and paid for…just like the land. Sound familiar! So I spent the day painting. Here the Math teacher (John) and the principal (Kelvin) are helping to paint.

While painting I had a chance to speak with two students of the school, Trey and Carrot (Anthony- he has red hair). Both love the Lord and remind me of our kids in Living Word Academy. They both called me “sir” (as does Jeff’s son). It’s the southern way, I’ve been told and shows respect to their elders.

While I painted, the boys went swimming in the lake and my wife, Gail and Virginia used the paddleboat. When I came back to camp, we all ate dinner together. After dinner, we all decided to go fishing. I heard from Jeff that there were some large bass (13 pounds) in his lake and I was itching to see if this was true. Jeff called his friends Danny and Steve to join us. At about 8:00pm we gathered our finishing gear and we went down to the jon boats. Jeff pointed to his boat and told me it was for me and my wife. I told him he could go with my wife and I would go with Danny. He thought I was kidding and would have nothing to do with it. I then told him whenever I fished with my wife she would always beat me and either catch a bigger one or more. He insisted I take his boat so I launched with my wife and Jeff and Danny went in the other. We traveled to the end of the lake where the water was deeper (10-15 feet). Then it happened!